Executive Director of Sheldon Chamber & Development Corporation (SCDC).
Position Title: Executive Director of Sheldon Chamber & Development Corporation (SCDC).
Reports to: SCDC Board (directly); City Council & City Manager (indirectly)
To lead the SCDC in all avenues to advance Sheldon community growth. This individual will have the primary responsibility to work effectively with the Board of Directors and Sheldon City Officials and to direct the SCDC according to its mission as stated. Please note this is not a City position, although is located in the Community Services Center and works closely with the City of Sheldon. SCDC offers excellent compensation and benefits. The posting includes a condensed description. The full description is available at this dropbox link.
This list is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to the position. This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
- Develops effective relationships with existing business and industry to stay abreast of their needs and opportunities. Offers to provide assistance as appropriate. Administers Revolving Loan Fund, Housing Review Board, Community Foundation and related programs.
- Direct leadership of the various SCDC and other committees.
- Develops effective working relationships with city government and management, county officials, community leaders, and other development organizations to cause cooperative efforts to promote and grow Sheldon. Examples include the Sheldon Regional Airport Commission, the Trails Committee, and the Crossroads Pavilion.
- Develops and implements plans to solicit new business and industry to located in Sheldon. Will need to follow up on leads in an aggressive, professional, innovative, and thorough manner. Involves partners and board to assure the best efforts of the SCDC.
- Develops and implements plan to promote Sheldon as a good place to live, work, shop, and locate business. This includes advocacy for both greenfield development and blight remediation (i.e., Urban Renewal and Urban Revitalization).
- Oversee the “Chamber of Commerce” functions that are to be administered by the Chamber Director and office staff. These functions include the coordination of retail events, Christmas promotions/activities, Home Show, Annual Banquet, and Celebration Days. This function also provides information on Sheldon to guests and prospects.
- Develops and implements an effective public relations process that promotes the SCDC as an effective and vital force in Sheldon. Solicits volunteers to serve on selected committees to work on behalf of the SCDC.
- Develops and recommends short and long-range plans and goals for consideration by the Board of Directors. Will implement approved plans and report on progress on an ongoing basis.
- Market and sell available commercial, industrial, and residential ground. Additionally provide framework for programs/incentive to stimulate development.
- Be a leader in identifying future development and redevelopment ground for commercial, residential, and industrial growth.
- Will serve as the head administrator of the SCDC and be responsible for administering all polices approved by the Board of Directors.
- Develops budgets and seeks funding to support the work of the SCDC. Conducts an annual investment campaign.
- Directs office activities to support the organization, including maintenance of all financial and other reports and records that are necessary. Assures that the office creates a friendly and welcoming environment for visitors.
- Assures timely and effective communications with Board members and investors.
Requirements of position: A college degree is expected with advanced graduate credit or related work experience as an asset. The director must possess high personal integrity, a well-balanced personality, have excellent communication skills, be a self-starter, is personable, have the ability to sell ideas, and have a passion to promote Sheldon. Three years’ experience in an equivalent type of position is preferred. Hours vary, generally the hours will be Monday – Friday, 7:30a – 4:30p. Many meetings are at 7a, 12p or 4:30p to accommodate schedules of membership.
Physical and Visual Requirements: Average mobility and vision correctable to 20/40 is required.
Terms of employment: At will.
Evaluation: Salary and performance evaluation will take place after six months, one year, and annually thereafter.
Reporting Relationships: SCDC Board of Directors. This position is appointed by the SCDC Board of Directors, confirmed by the Sheldon City Council. This position then reports to the SCDC Board of Directors, and works closely with the City Manager, who assigns various duties on behalf of the City (in coordination with the SCDC Board Leadership).
Supervisory requirements: Direct supervision of two (Chamber Director and Administrative Assistant). Direct and Indirect supervision of multiple boards, commissions, and committees.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Bob Henningsen with Smart Solutions Group via email only at: bob@ smartsolutionsgroup.net. If questions please email or, call or text at 515.238.2697
Sheldon Chamber and Development Corporation 416 9th Street, PO Box 276 Sheldon, Iowa 51201 Phone: 712-324-2813 Fax: 712-324-4602 www.sheldoniowa.com
Posted September 8, 2023, Open until filled.